"Gimme the girl that's beautiful, without a trace of makeup of on,
Barefoot in the kitchen, singing her favorite song.
Dancing around like a fool, starring in her own little show,
Gimme the girl the rest of the world, ain't lucky enough to know."
~Joe Nichols, Gimme That Girl

...not saying that this is me,
but Nichols sure nailed it when
he wrote the barefoot in the
kitchen line!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Of Many, Many Things...

   Today there were grey skies, and fine droplets of water descending to the thirsty ground.  In fact, it was so very grey, I overslept . . . big no-no since I had a commitment at 6:40 . . . which was basically when I woke up (or re-awoke- are you familiar with the "just five more minutes in bed" mentality?)  That sorted itself all out.  A cheesy start to an absolutely satisfying day.
   So that I might share my satisfactory/exciting day with you in an organized manner, I had best list each highlight in numerical order.  That way, my very random thoughts won't trip over each other in their hurry to figure in this post.

1.  I had a sandwich (with Brie! ) for breakfast . . . have to do sandwiches more often in the morning.
2.  Two very special somethings have now been added to my - - - collection.  (The last picture tells all.)  If you didn't know this already, I love vintage Pyrex  =)
3.  Mum made salsa with lotsa cilantro at lunch!  Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs.  Interesting fact: cilantro is the only herb with the ability to remove toxic heavy metals from the body.
4.  I made 40 scones today, all in our tiny toaster oven!  Ta-da!  Ok . . . they're roundish sconelets . . . or sconeletti?, that make a good breakfast, coffee break pastry, or gift for a good friend.  Still, it took about five batches worth, and time well spent.
5.  Some very dear friends sent an unexpected package in the mail to Abby and I . . . we love you L+H!  Thank-you bunches for our sea-shell necklaces!  We can't wait for a sunny day, so that we can wear them!


   Scone Recipe

½ c whole milk
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
3 Tbs cane sugar
Flavorful additions of your choice, to taste (I used the combinations of chocolate and prunes; ginger, lemon zest, and poppy seeds; dried apricot and pecans; craisins and pistachios.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  (Um, feel this one out with your own oven.  I set ours (mind you, a tiny toaster oven,) at 350, and it cooked those scones pretty darned well.  Use discernment when setting your temp.)

Beat together the milk and the egg and then set aside. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, working until you have no lumps bigger than a pea. Add the sugar and whatever additions you choose, and stir or toss to mix. Pour the wet ingredients into the dries, reserving just a tad of the milk-egg mixture to use as a glaze. Bring dough together gently with a wooden spoon.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead it no more than 12 times. [Apparently, twelve is the magic number here; surpass it at your own risk.] Pat dough into a round approximately ½-inch thick, and cut into 8 or 12 wedges. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, glaze wedges with half-n-half or heavy cream (I skipped this bit . . . it's just a matter of glossy or non-glossy scones.)

Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack.

   So here are some pictures...due to grey skies, the house has poor lighting, and due to poor lighting, I moved outside with a few of the pictures.  Blah-blah.  Oh, and please forgive me for those crazy green hole-toed knee highs.  It was cold  =)  And I was truly in a greene mood, just to spite the grey day.


                                          All of the sconelets/sconeletti.

                                         Lemon, ginger, poppy seed.

                                         Gluten free craisin and pistachio.

                                         Chocolate and prune.

                                         Apricot and pecan.

                                         My new Pyrex mugs!!!

                                          Our beautiful sea-shell necklaces, made with love =)

10 comments:

  1. Yay!! First one to comment :) I Love Love Love this post!!! :D Just love everything about it! The scones are very good :). Looking forward to what you make next sis! L+H I Love my sea shell necklace! Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, hunney!
      Glad you love this 3x =) I agree with you, the scones are good! And I think that I am making stuffed zucchini next. What think ye?
      Smiles,
      Your Barefoot Sister

      Delete
  2. I really like these blogs. There have been so many yummy goodies around here.
    Love you, Hunney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody taught me how to cook =) Love you too, Mummily!
      Smiles,
      Your Barefoot Girl

      Delete
  3. three things.

    thing one: loving the pyrex! in fact, we have a set of six of those exact pyrex mugs you have (and lots of other ones besides). someday you'll have to make a trip over here to see our collection of vintage things. =)

    thing two: abby and your mom get to comment and tell everyone how good these goodies are. and i don't. quite unfair if you ask me!

    thing three: loving the green. and don't bash on gray days--they're the best kind!

    love you! and so sorry the email has been so long in coming. i'm working on it--promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reply to thing one: I'd love to see your vintage treasures! Just as long as you come on over, and have a cup of tea (in a Pyrex mug)while we go through mine.
      Regarding thing two: Ha!
      And as to thing three: today is a purple mood (don't ask me why!) adios to the greene. I wasn't e'zackly bashing the grey day, although I was muttering this morning when I had to ride my bike to a neighbor's house for the purpose of babysitting. The rain soaked me through. Now that I am finally dry, I do agree, grey days are rather enjoyable!
      Love you, too! And I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of your email, whenever it arrives. I love reading them, and then replying! Take care!
      Smiles,
      The Barefoot Girl

      Delete
  4. You are having WAY too much fun being Rebekah, aren't you? :) I miss you so much and the fun we used to have being weird! And go PURPLE MOODS! I asked for a color switch for Rylee (his official color was blue, and I asked if we could change his color to purple) and Janey switched his color! *Happy Dance*
    Those Scones look AMAZING! Man, I really gotta mosey my way over to CA and get my hands on some Scones. :) Tell you what, if you give me Scones I'll take you riding on Rylee and I'll ride Bodie. ;) :D
    Love you so much and keep writing and brightening my day!

    With love,

    -Calamity Rene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think that being Rebekah got me into alot of trouble, but then I realized I was hanging out with Emily *wink* As to being weird, you've pretty much perfected the trait, but I'll catch up with you soon! You might be older by a month or two, but by George, I won't let you be weirder than me =) And yay for the purple Rylee!!!
      Sure, you mosey on down, and I'll make you scones, or I can mosey on up, make scones AND go riding with you. (Although I'll probably look like a limp squash on the horse.) Love you, too!
      Smiles,
      The Barefoot Girl

      Delete
  5. Rebekah,
    Thank you for the smiles! I love hearing your personality coming through in your blog. It's obvious you are having a lot of fun experimenting with different recipes and I'm sure your family is delighted with the results! The scones look wonderful...I can't believe what you were able to accomplish in a toaster oven! And, I'm curious about your gluten free recipe. What flours did you use and did you make any other modifications? Much love, Aunt Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aunty,
      Oh, I'm so glad you left a comment! It was such a surprise to find it in my inbox this evening. I do believe the family has enjoyed my frequent ( if not random) culinary experiments =) As to the gluten free scones, I made them with Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mix, but I was not pleased with the resulting texture and flavor. The scones were honestly crumbly, slightly gritty, and had an after taste of ( is this even possible?) rancid salt. I'd have to fool around with different recipes before recommending any specific gluten free ones. You've given me a goal now!
      Again, thanks for stopping by the blog. I love connecting with my readers!
      Smiles,
      Your Barefoot Niece.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions! If they're pure chocolate, I'll keep 'em. If they stink like rotten tomatoes, then you can bet your boots that I'll compost 'em.
Smiles,
Rebekah